25 May 2010

Wait Time


Mama’s here finally.  We’ve changed plans several times since I first proposed the trip, including dates and travel methods.  First she was going to come down over Mothers’ Day, but that got changed.  Then she was going to drive down with my nephews the week before Memorial Day, but that got changed as well.

I picked her up at the airport this evening and swapped 2 dozen yellow roses for her baggage.  Little old ladies should carry flowers, not luggage. 

I got there a little early (I never know what traffic will be like), and her flight was delayed a few minutes.  Those minutes morphed into what seemed like eternity waiting to see her get on the escalator down to the baggage claim level, where we had arranged to meet.  Meanwhile, I stood in the middle of people coming and going or waiting on bags, looking anxious I’m sure.  With 2 dozen roses wrapped in purple tissue paper.

Waiting isn’t something I do well, and after plane after plane expelled passengers downstairs, I was more antsy than the last time I had to sit for jury selection.  But I finally saw her get on the escalator, and all my panic stopped.  I could breathe again.  (I also didn’t have to sit on the jury, by the way.)

She’s tucked away in the guest room/hideaway-for-me.  I have a tv, computer and horribly uncomfortable rattan sofa in there.  She’s sleeping on an air mattress.  She said she could probably sleep on the sofa, but I told her she probably didn’t want to.  Doing so is the quickest way to a back ache that I know.

Tomorrow, I introduce her to kolaches (a Czech breakfast staple in this part of the world).  And my favorite seafood restaurant (Eaves Brothers on Airport—the best, freshest seafood you can get in Austin).  And my favorite building in town (the Long Center, which used to be a dated, ugly and unused venue before it was turned into one of the best performance centers in the country).

I want to show her all the things I love about Austin, but I can’t do that in a few days.  So we’ll hit the high spots.  If we get bored, we can go to Mt. Bonnell or take a walk around Lady Bird Lake.  Then there’s the Susanna Dickinson house, but I’m not sure we can fit that in. 

I also want to leave time for doing nothing and just talking. 

Now that she’s here and safely tucked away, I can breathe freely and quit worrying that something will screw things up. 

It’s the first time she’s met Shannon, also.  She’s talked to him on the phone, but that’s about it.  As I’ve said before, he doesn’t travel well. 

We have several great days in store.  And since my employer forces me to take vacation time, I can’t think of a better way to spend it.

No comments: