26 May 2010

A Non-Long Day

Our outing with Mama got derailed today when Shannon fell on the sidewalk on the way into the Long Center.  We were supposed to have a tour, and they would provide a wheelchair for him.  He fell last week after I had gone to bed and laid on the floor for two hours picking cat hair up before he was able to get to his feet. 

He picked the cat hair up because he was bored, but he didn’t try to wake me.  I told him that next time, he should throw a shoe at the door or just yell. 

He hadn’t been out of the house for a week until today, and he looked a little ashy getting out of the car.  We made it across the street, and I told him to wait.  I’d bring the car around and drop him off at the front door.  No sooner did I turn around to go get it than Mama started shouting.  I turned around, and he was on the ground. 

His head had hit the concrete, and his arm was bleeding.  He couldn’t sit up immediately, much less stand.  Mama said she’d tried to catch him, but couldn’t.  Understandably, since he out-weighs her and is almost a foot taller.

We got him on to a low retaining wall after a few minutes, then I went in search of a restroom.  I knew that he would need to sit for longer than I could go without peeing.  Mama sat with him while I walked over to the Hyatt and pretended to be meeting someone in the bar. 

When I got back, I got the car, circled around and pulled it off the street and up over the curb onto the grass next to the sidewalk so he would only have to go a few feet.  Between me and Mama, we managed to get him into the car and on the way back home.

We missed the tour, needless to say. 

Tomorrow, when we go to the LBJ Library, I can probably go in, get a wheelchair and take it to the car to fetch him in.  That’s what I’m hoping, at least. 

We’ll see. 

In the mean time, I’ve bandaged him up and tried to pre-treat the blood stains on both of our clothes so they don’t set in the fabric. 

More than that, I don’t know what I can do.

No comments: