15 March 2010

Saving Time

Once again, daylight saving time finds me a zombie with a body clock out of sync with much of everything.  It’s only 8:12, but my watch says it’s an hour later.  And it’s not an hour later:  it’s the same time it’s always been, but we call it something different.

Anyone who actually thinks about it should be able to realize what an exercise in futility it is to even try to get a handle on time, much less get ahead of it.  Daylight saving time is arbitrary and capricious at best.   There is no solid evidence it does much besides getting on my nerves.

And there’s more than abundant evidence for that.

If it were possible to save day light, I’d try to catch some, stick it in a bag and sell it.  It would go on the shelf right next to “Time in a Bottle.”

The entire concept is outmoded and counter-productive.  It costs more in lost productivity than it could ever recoup by promoting the use of natural lighting.  When I have to rely on natural lighting at my office, I pull out a flashlight.  That’s the only way I don’t trip over things I can’t see where the daylight I was saving didn’t make it.

Daylight saving time is a relic that needs to be relegated to the ash-heap of history.  Perhaps it once served a purpose, but those days are far behind us.  It now costs more than it saves.

We are no longer a nation of farmers.  Most of us work in places where the sun’s coming up and going down makes little to no difference.  We work until we’re done under artificial lighting.  When the sun comes up or goes down doesn’t affect that one iota.

If farmers need more time to get things done, tell them to get out of bed earlier.  Don’t impose their schedules on me.

If anyone can tell me why daylight saving time is a good idea, I would welcome the input.  I can’t find a reason.  At least not one that makes sense.

It’s time to put this one out of it’s misery,  And mine as well.

No comments: