09 February 2008

Give Me a Break. Please.

They found my niece's car yesterday. 150 yards from where she left it, in a ditch on top of another one with a tree somehow involved. It's either on top of the car or sticking out of it. Mama wasn't real clear. She hasn't seen it, and when the insurance adjustor called, she couldn't tell him exactly where it was. He called Morgan, the called back a few minutes later to say that they'd get someone out today or Monday, but it would most likely be a total loss.

Do you think? Direct hit from an F4 tornado, blown almost a tenth of a mile away, sitting on top of another car in a ditch with a tree involved. Would you drive it even if it got "fixed"?

Morgan's taken the opportunity to get out of town for a few days. She's gone to Illinois with one of her roommates. I think she just needed to get the hell out of Dodge for a few days, get some sleep and think about something else.

I can't blame her.

I want to get the hell out of Dodge for a few days, and I haven't been almost blown into oblivion.

I took a couple days off work to have some off that didn't involve illness or death. I haven't had any for a while. First Shannon in the hospital last October and again in December-January. Christmas and New Years in two different hospitals. Then Pinto died in February. He was our beautiful 18 year-old red tabby, whose ashes sit in an honored place in our bedroom. And then Daddy in July. Two trips to Tennessee later, I came home to a disturbing email: Richard's mother-in-law, Denise's mother, had been killed. Then Glenn's mother died, and John got put back in the hospital again. Then his mother died.

And now this. I guess I should just be happy that no one's dead. And I am. I just wonder when it's all going to quit. When I can get back to my boring life that stays boring for a few days at a time.

Life, as always, is a mess. The laundry keeps piling up and the diswasher needs to be emptied. I'll get to them when I can.

For now, I'm catching up on sleep.

No comments: